Reach your Audience with Storytelling
This course will give you the skills and techniques needed to create strong narratives, and to move you from good storytelling to great storytelling.
Effective storytelling involves a deep understanding of human emotions, motivations, and psychology in order to truly move an audience. Combining the fundamental building blocks of the RNTC approach, the “Reach your Audience with Storytelling” course will give you the techniques needed, to move you from good storytelling to great storytelling.
About this course
RNTC believes that information is not enough to change an audience’s beliefs or behaviors. Information is quickly forgotten if it isn’t presented in a way we can remember it and we have all experienced confusion when trying to understand a new idea. Stories provide a way around that.
This 4-day combination of modules will give you the skills to create strong narratives, find the right media formats to convey them, and capture your audiences. You will practice identifying and mapping target audiences and persuading them. You will put the theory into practice with real examples and try the techniques out for yourself.
This 4-day course spread out over a week consists of several small interactive group sessions and workshops to ensure that you learn by doing. You will improve your narrative skills, and practice how to better engage with your audience.
Know your target audience module:
▪ Where do ideas come from?
▪ How to zero in on an audience
▪ Mapping your target audience
▪ Influencers, agreed realities, and emotional pay-offs
▪ Using mapping to discover target audiences
▪ Using social media for insights
▪ Developing target audience statements
▪ Pitching target audiences
Persuade your target audience module:
▪ What is learning and why this is important to understanding audiences?
▪ How do people learn? Information, skills, and behaviours
▪ The ingredients of persuasive aims
▪ Why you need different credible sources
▪ Why you should craft emotional appeals
▪ The benefits of formulating a logical approach
▪ Investigating examples – persuading target audiences
▪ Applying persuasion to your own context
Storytelling for media professionals module:
▪ Narrative journalism versus information journalism
▪ The eight essential elements of story
▪ Symbols and universal truths
▪ Studying real examples illustrating the eight essential elements of story
▪ Story detective sessions: develop your own story
▪ The micro story: story in a tweet
Creative formats to engage audiences module:
▪ How do we tell stories using media?
▪ Ten engaging formats and what makes them unique
▪ Which formats are good for conveying information versus conveying emotions?
▪ Types of formats and the ideas box
▪ Combining Ideas creatively
▪ Investigating formats: interviewing
▪ Investigating formats: the discussion
▪ Practice: engaging audiences with the discussion format
✔ You will learn how to map audience beliefs and emotional pay-offs in order to understand their psychological drivers.
✔ You will understand how humans learn and be able to identify the emotional pay-offs of any target audiences, which will help you to find and capture your audiences.
✔ This course helps you master the techniques of persuasive storytelling, and gives you the tools to produce stories that have measurable impact.
✔ You will learn by doing, trying out various media formats and combining them to produce stories which will engage your audiences much more personally.
About RNTC Media Training Centre
- 50+ yearsExperience
- 5 Languages