Are you looking to stand out from the crowd with your content?
Digital technologies have fundamentally changed the nature and function of media in our society. They’ve reinvented age-old practices of public communication, going beyond traditional media and challenging its privileged role as the gatekeeper of news and entertainment.
Traditional old school media outlets like TV, radio and print have all had to expand to include digital extensions in order to keep their audience engaged.
Today, digital content creatives have a duty to publish accurate and compelling stories to targeted audiences while being engaging and “share-worthy.” Above all, your content must stand out in a highly competitive market.
The RTNC Digital Content Creative course will take your abilities from “good” to “great”, empowering you to shake up your industry through powerful and engaging content.
About the Course
This is an intensive three-week course packed with rigorous theory and relevant practice that will take your career as a multimedia journalist or content creator to the next level. You’ll learn from the industry’s very best: highly experienced, award-winning content creators, sharing their knowledge and skills in:
- How to produce a wide range of exciting content in multiple formats
- Practicing the latest multimedia and online content creation techniques
- Gaining competence and confidence in both broadcast and multimedia journalism
- Learning how to capture the attention of your audience through storytelling
- Working in groups as well as individually, to produce top-quality media assignments
As a reputable educational institution, RTNC promises a comprehensive offering, which includes, but is not limited to these topics:
- Multimedia Storytelling
- Advanced Social media, Virality and Influencers
- Participatory Journalism
- Mobile Video Journalism
- Immersive Journalism including Virtual Reality and 360-degree content
- Multimedia Blogging and Vlogging
- Social Media tools and techniques
Upon graduation, you’ll be able to tackle your career with a fresh mindset and new skills learned from like-minded, successful professionals. Along with your creative abilities, you’ll also have refined your ability to:
- Engage with your audience by telling powerful stories, feeling equally confident in both broadcast and multimedia journalism
- Work with more than 100 broadcast and multimedia formats
- Put powerful stories at the heart of your work, to deliver narrative-driven, meaningful content
- Be competent in researching, writing, producing and publishing compelling stories for broadcast and the web
- Drawing larger audiences and engaging them in new ways, using social media
- Generate creative story ideas and turn them into persuasive content for broadcast and the web
- Know how to capture your audience’s attention by harnessing the power of ‘what happened next?'
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a 3-week course.
This course takes place at the RNTC Media Training Centre in Hilversum, which is about 20 minutes by train from Amsterdam Central Station.
Academic Year: 2019 - 2020
Course fee: € 6500,-
All-in-fee: € 8345,-
RNTC’s pool of trainers includes seasoned international journalists with ample experience in a variety of new media on different platforms. They have worked with renowned organisations like the BBC, CBC, MTV, and RNW Media (formerly Radio Netherlands Worldwide). Using their expertise, they will nurture and develop your skills to produce media for the digital age.
This course is developed for journalists who want to break free from familiar formats and engage more intensely with their audiences. It’s for civil society communicators who want to raise awareness for their causes in dynamic formats, and for those wanting to break into the media. It will teach you the necessary skills to kick start your career as a multimedia journalist and content creator. You should have at least one year’s experience in the field of broadcast and/or online news and current affairs.
After you have completed all the course sessions and assignments you will receive an RNTC certificate and join the ranks of more than 6000 broadcast professionals.
The RTNC Digital Content Creative course is a comprehensive offering aimed at further inspiring and developing content creatives. There are several benefits to taking this course, including:
- Learning from professionals in the field
- Developing the latest multimedia and content creation techniques
- Gaining confidence in both broadcast and multimedia journalism
- Learning how to capture and engage an audience with your story
This course includes several small group interactive sessions and workshops to ensure that you “learn-by-doing”, whilst working with like-minded individuals.
Module 1: Know your target audience
- Where do ideas come from?
- How to zero in on an audience
- Mapping your target audience
- Influencers, agreed realities, and emotional payoffs
- Using mapping to discover target audiences
- Using social media for insights
- Developing target audience statements
- Pitching target audiences
Module 2: Persuade your target audience
- What is learning and why is it important for understanding audiences?
- How do people learn? Information, skills, and behaviours
- The ingredients of persuasive aims
- Why you need different credible sources
- Why you should craft emotional appeals
- The benefits of formulating a logical approach
- Investigating examples – persuading target audiences
- Applying persuasion to your own context
Module 3: Storytelling for media professionals
- Narrative journalism versus information journalism
- The eight essential elements of Story
- Symbols and universal truths
- Studying real examples illustrating the eight essential elements of Story
- Story detective sessions: develop your own story
- The micro story: story in a tweet
- Create characters to engage audiences
- The importance of character: identifying people like us
- The types and tropes of drama characters
- Character histories and how to craft them
- Hero journeys and creating powerful character growth
Module 4: Creative formats to engage audiences
- How do we tell stories using media?
- Ten engaging formats and what makes them unique
- Which formats are good for conveying information versus conveying emotions?
- Types of formats and the ideas box
- Combining ideas creatively
- Investigating formats: interviewing
- Investigating formats: the discussion
- Practice: engaging audiences with the discussion format
You will also:
- Receive training in basic audio, using zoom recorders and popular audio editing software for radio or podcasting
- Learn how to capture video on mobile technology, edit footage and publish to social media. This includes basic shots, movement and sound for mobile
- Learn the basics of photography
In the second week we put theory into practice, using in-depth skills, such as
- Advanced Video journalism: Editing on standard editing software and exporting final products for broadcast on traditional and digital platforms
- Advanced techniques: 360-degree video, participatory video, immersive 3D video and storytelling, as well as live video streaming
- Advanced podcasting: podcast best practices and monetization
- Multimedia Blogging: Introduction to WordPress, including transforming multimedia into share-able blogs
- Vlogging: YouTube, influencers, virality, how to manage vlogs and YouTube monetization
- Social media: strategy, tools, analytics, and best practices
- How to implement multimedia workflows into your newsroom
In the third week, you will work on your own, in-depth core project. You’ll also put theory into practice by entering a working newsroom environment, and producing a multimedia blog, using story, video and podcast.
Course dates: 11 March - 29 March 2019
OKP & MSP scholarship application window: now closed
Course dates: 9 September - 27 September 2019
OKP & MSP scholarship application window: now closed
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- You are currently working as a journalist or communications professional with a minimum of three years' experience.
- You can provide the original proof (or a properly certified copy) of your most recent educational qualification in secondary or higher education.
- You should be fluent in English – both written and verbal – as this is the working language for our courses.
After you have completed all the course sessions and assignments, you will receive an RNTC certificate and join the ranks of more than 6000 successful RNTC alumni worldwide.
Do you qualify for a scholarship for an RNTC course?
The most commonly awarded scholarships for our courses are the OKP and MSP (MENA) scholarships.
OKP fellowships are available to 52 countries and MSP scholarships to 10 countries.
For more information, please visit our scholarships page.