Producing Media to Counter Hate Speech and Polarisation
This course provides all the tools you need to counter hate speech and polarisation online by developing alternate narratives.
With the advent of the digital age, these last decades have seen new and worrisome phenomena affecting people and politics worldwide. Extremist groups are growing on social media, elections are targeted by digital (foreign) interference, polarisation is reinforced online through the use of algorithms, and that is just to name a few. The more recent COVID-19 outbreak has intensified these problems -seeing for instance the spread of new conspiracy theories feeding into stereotypes-, while the crisis pushes people to spend even more time online.
About this course
Drawing from our learning made across 12 digital communities in 12 countries, this course offers unique perspectives for those working online and dealing with these complex issues. The course covers:
▶ Learning the proven strategies used in counter polarising narratives
▶ How to moderate communities for inclusive dialogue
▶ Understanding the basis of polarisation, propaganda tools and malinformation strategies
▶ How to protect yourself online with proven best practices.
This three week course provides all the tools you need to counter hate speech online, develop alternate narratives that counter polarisation and that change minds and counter disinformation.
Know your target audience
▪ Where do ideas come from?
▪ How to zero in on an audience
▪ Mapping your target audience
▪ Influencers, agreed realities and emotional pay-offs
▪ Using mapping to discover target audiences
▪ Using social media for insights
▪ Developing target audience statements
▪ Pitching target audiences
Persuade your target audience
▪ What is learning and why this is important to understanding audiences?
▪ How do people learn? Information, skills, and behaviours
▪ The ingredients of persuasive aims
▪ Why you need different credible sources
▪ Why you should craft emotional appeals
▪ The benefits of formulating a logical approach
▪ Investigating examples – persuading target audiences
▪ Applying persuasion to your own context
Storytelling: Crafting Counter and Alternate messaging
▪ Narrative versus information
▪ The eight essential elements of story
▪ Symbols and universal truths
▪ Studying real examples illustrating the eight essential elements of story
▪ Create characters to engage audiences
▪ The importance of character: identifying people like us
Positive Alternate Narratives
▪ In and out groups
▪ Radical Ideologies and what are their basic requirements
▪ The fundamentals of propaganda
▪ Alternate Narratives and how these are built
▪ Key concepts in Vlogging
▪ How to record video and audio
▪ How to edit video and audio for vlogs
▪ Using Vlogs to create alternate messaging
Disinformation and How to Deal with it
▪ The Disinformation landscape
▪ Media literacy interventions
▪ The role and effectivity of fact checking
▪ Amplification: the positive and negative
Tracking and Monitoring Hate Proactively
▪ Social listening and how to use it to track and monitor hate
▪ Case studies of hate and polarisation tracking
▪ Applying social listening to own case and context
Hate and Dealing with Hate Speech
▪ The key concepts and dynamics of Hate
▪ Online hate narratives
▪ Online hate sources
▪ Best practices in dealing with Hate online
▪ Moderation and how to Moderate community engagement
▪ Community standards building
▪ Applying learning to a live simulation
▪ We examine offline approaches to online problems
▪ Case and field studies: what is working
Staying Safe online
▪ Safety and security concerns
▪ Conducting a self reflective risk analysis
▪ Resiliency and how to deal with stress
After you have completed all the course sessions and assignments, you will receive an RNTC certificate and join the ranks of more than 6000 successful RNTC alumni worldwide.
✔ Understanding the dominant ideological messaging and key narratives in polarising social issues.
✔ Producing multimedia material which changes attitudes and behaviours, using proven persuasion theories.
✔ Learning from actual counter polarisation and hate speech programmes and real-life cases that have been successful.
✔ Developing skills to monitor and track hate speech and polarising narratives dealing with these issues proactively before they attack.
✔ Learning how to use moderation in online communities to reduce hate speech and polarisation.
✔ Learning basic digital security principals to keep you safe online.
RNTC Media Training Centre
- 50+ yearsExperience
- 58 Countries
- 6000+ Alumni