Digital Safety and Security
In this course you will master core techniques for identifying security threats, and staying safe in the civic space.
Working in the civic space sometimes means you are exposed to a variety of risks, some of which you may be aware of, but most you don’t until it’s too late. In this course you’ll learn how to stay safe, both physically and digitally.
About this course
Not a day goes by without hearing of a company’s data being leaked online. The ways in which your privacy and security can be compromised by criminal, corporate or state activity are multiplying and becoming more and more complex.
In this course you will understand the full range of current and emerging threats to your privacy and security, you will develop your own threat model and master core techniques and principles for protecting your personal data.
In this 5-day course spread out over 10 days, you will be exposed to some practical tools from the pros, and you will learn how to change the mindset of your peers towards protecting themselves online.
You will work with experienced digital security experts who will take you through key components such as:
▶ Threat awareness
▶ Cybercrime and cyber security tools
▶ Physical security risks and threat modeling
▶ Device security and making sure your devices are protected
▶ Privacy and security, how to secure your communication
Cybercrime and Cyber security
▪ Privacy and security: understanding your current threat
▪ Cybercrime: different types of cyber crime and how to avoid being a target
▪ State Surveillance: what is it, tactics and emerging technologies
▪ Surveillance Capitalism: the devil in the details of Terms of Service
▪ Disinformation: how to spot trolls and bots. Remedies to these
▪ The nature of physical security: what are the risks
▪ Case studies, demonstrations and role plays on various threat situations in which you learn ▪ how to detect and protect yourself from risks
▪ Developing aliases
▪ How to track hidden cameras and devices
▪ Computer security: how to clean up drives, privacy settings
▪ Phone security: terms of service and privacy
▪ Browsing: data flows, proxies, VPNs and secure mail
Privacy and Security
▪ Reverse due diligence
▪ Removing personal data in public spaces on internet
▪ Secure communications: end to end encryption, encrypted messaging, encrypted email
▪ Online purchasing anonymously and safely
▪ Passwords and password management
▪ Two factor authentication
▪ Data at rest
Risk Mitigation Strategies
In this unit we self-asses our privacy and security and develop a risk mitigation map that will help us operationalize the learnings in our daily practice and work environments.
After you have completed all the course sessions and assignments, you will receive an RNTC certificate and join the ranks of more than 6000 successful RNTC alumni worldwide.
✔ Identify the different security threats in your environment and develop a plan of action for each one.
✔ Preparing yourself for the situation where somebody comes into your organisation and wants to confiscate materials/hardware.
✔ Understand how technology that underpins end-to-end encryption protect your privacy and security.
✔ Understand the different variables that come into play when selecting an encrypted messaging application.
✔ Learn how to protect your physical security in a variety of different personal and professional contexts.
✔ Learn about the different techniques for carrying out a Reverse Due Diligence.
About RNTC Media Training Centre
- 50+ yearsExperience
- 58 Countries
- 5 Languages
- 6000+ Alumni