Podcasts offer a niche perspective into topics, amplify voices from marginalized communities and empower efforts to influence the mainstream. One of the biggest reasons for the increase in podcast popularity is the shift from desktop to mobile. As streaming services have become more widespread and popular, podcasts are now easy to access and convenient to share, even when we’re on the go.
Podcasts are expected to hit $534 million in advertising spend by 2020, globally
About this Course
This RTNC short course aims to educate and empower podcast creators, by providing you with the tools and techniques you need, to produce powerful, informative podcasts on any topic. You will learn about:
- Creating strong narratives that captivate audiences
- Finding the right media format for your message
- Identifying and mapping target audiences
- Practicing audience persuasion in your content
- Using basic technical equipment that is easy to source
- Setting up your own studio, anywhere
- Monetizing and marketing your podcast
This is a 5-day course.
This course takes place at the RNTC Media Training Centre in Hilversum, which is about 20 minutes by train from Amsterdam Central Station.
Course fee: € 1700,- (includes tuition fee & lunch on course days)
All-in-Fee: € 2290,-
By the end of the Reach your Audience with Podcasting course, you will be able to:
- Understand the basic techniques of creating high-quality podcasts including recording, editing and uploading to streaming sites
- Master the different aspects of storytelling, targeting and the tools used to produce major and measurable impact.
- Work with different media formats and combine them to produce engaging stories on a personal level.
- Assess and implement monetization and marketing models to make a living with your podcasts.
The course will provide examples of great podcasts to inspire and challenge you. You’ll feel up to speed with the latest insights into modern-day journalism, and get to try the techniques out for yourself, putting theory into practice with real examples.
Break into the rapidly growing world of podcasting by learning everything you need to make professional, engaging podcasts.
RNTC teaches you the theory and gives you the practice you need. You will create unique new content to address and engage audiences following this 5-day course.
This 5-day course consists of several small interactive group sessions and workshops to ensure that you learn by doing. It includes:
Know your target audience module:
- Where do ideas come from?
- How to zero in on an audience
- Mapping your target audience
- Influencers, agreed realities, and emotional payoffs
- Using mapping to discover target audiences
- Using social media for insights
- Developing target audience statements
- Pitching target audiences
Persuade your target audience module:
- What is learning and why this is important to understanding audiences
- How do people learn? Information, skills, and behaviours
- The ingredients of persuasive aims
- Why you need different credible sources
- Why you should craft emotional appeals
- The benefits of formulating a logical approach
- Investigating examples – persuading target audiences
- Applying persuasion to your own context
Storytelling for media professionals module:
- Narrative journalism versus information journalism
- The eight essential elements of story
- Symbols and universal truths
- Studying real examples illustrating the eight essential elements of story
- Story detective sessions: develop your own story
- The micro story: story in a tweet
Creative formats to engage audiences module:
- How do we tell stories using media?
- Ten engaging formats and what makes them unique
- Which formats are good for conveying information versus conveying emotions?
- Types of formats and the ideas box
- Combining Ideas creatively
- Investigating formats: interviewing techniques
- Investigating formats: the discussion
- Investigating formats: Testimony
- Practice: engaging audiences with the discussion format
- Recording techniques
- Zoom recorders
- Building safe sound environments
- Structuring your podcast: The Format Guide
- Editing audio
- Editing Software
- Adding sound effects, music and audio elements.
- Uploading content
- Best platforms for podcasts
- Monetization and Marketing Podcasts
- Audience expectations and feedback.
- 4-8 November 2019
- 27-31 January 2020
No specific requirements are needed to join this course.